Sunday, December 30, 2012

Abundance of Gifts and Ungratefulness

These posts (here and here) really put into words what I have been thinking about for awhile.

I want to be intentional about the values I pass on to my daughter. But that means I need to live the example I want her to see. ouch

We are blessed to live in a place where we have religious freedom to practice as we see fit. We are blessed with jobs that provide for ALL of our needs and a good measure of our wants. I am blessed to have a husband that is truly a partner with me and we enjoy each others' company. 

My daughter is growing up in a home where she has more toys that she could possibly play with in a single day. She has a warm, clean bed to sleep in and an abundance of clothes in her dresser. There is always food in the house to fill her chubby tummy. She has two parents that love her more than anything.

Simply put - she's not going to grow up knowing what true need and desperation is. Not if I can help it.

But part of me feels like I am hindering her in some way. No, I am not going to make a toddler start earning her keep or making her own food. But how can one really know what a need is like until you experience it?

Christmas to our family is a time to focus on the greatest gift the world was given: Jesus Christ. But if it a celebration of Jesus, then why should we get gifts? I want my children to know the excitement of the season - the anticipation in waiting for the King to be born. I don't want that anticipation to be built around what they are going to personally gain from it. I want my children to learn to focus on others first.

And for Jesus' Birthday, he should be the one to get the gifts. Gifts of Kindness. Compassion. Generosity. Love.

Matthew 25:40

The Message (MSG)
37-40 “Then those ‘sheep’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’

But to teach it to my child, its going to need to be a principle that I live. Everyday.  And that is pretty convicting.

I've been talking to DH about only giving gifts on birthdays (a celebration of that person) or anniversaries (a celebration of that couple). For the other holidays, especially religious holidays, we will focus our resources towards helping others. There's nothing wrong with having an Easter basket, but if I could give that $10 to fill a child's tummy, then wouldn't that be a better use and a better lesson for my kids?

Now I just have to figure out how to implement this consistently while still helping my children to enjoy the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment